The last two parties have left rather more mess and caused more disruption in the rest of the Hall than I would expect. The next party will be on 12 February (for Valentine's Day). The bar will close at 1.30 instead of 2.00, and I should like everyone to bear in mind:
- Parties are held in the bar only; residents in the rest of the building who do not wish to attend the party should be able to study or sleep if they want to.
- Only alcoholic drinks purchased at the bar may be consumed in the bar, Bell room, and garden.
- All guests must be met at reception and signed in by a resident. Residents may be held responsible for their guests' behaviour.
- The party ends at closing time (usually 2.00). Those who want to continue partying after that need to go out to another venue. Student rooms, the common rooms, and the steps outside the front of the building may not be used for after-parties. The Hall should be as quiet as any other night by 2.20.
I have published new guidance for bar staff and DJs for the Valentine's party:
- The Licensing Act 2003 - a guide for bar staff
- Instructions for bar staff at late parties
- Instructions for DJs at late parties
I will review how parties are organised, the hours at which they are allowed, and how frequently parties may be held, after the Valentines' party. Please help keep mess and noise to a minimum so that I do not have to place restrictions on future parties.